Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:35 PM


When we first joined the ship last month, some of us, during casual conversation, were informed by veterans of the business that suicides are frequent in the cruise industry. This week, we experienced our first.  In this case, it was a crew member, although I’m told that guests jump overboard more frequently. This unnamed assistant waiter went missing Sunday night around 11 PM and was never found. The ship had to turn around in the late afternoon on Monday to start a comprehensive search of the ocean, as one had already been completed onboard. Rumors are flying about who he was, why he jumped, if he jumped at all, etc. But most of the crewmembers around us are acting as if nothing is out of the ordinary. Of course, I don’t really expect people to walk around with looks of horror and/or mourning on their faces, but in the crew areas, it’s eerily status quo. I don’t know which is worse; the fact that I’m here working in a place where people come to deliberately end their lives, or that there will probably come a time when I don’t find that sort of thing odd. I’m shaken up a bit. Naturally. I wish Todd were here. It’s been a few days since all of this started, but I still could use a good cuddle paired with a rom-com. It’s been way too long since I’ve had a cuddle-movie night.
On a lighter note, I’m really enjoying this aqua show, ironically. I was dreading it, but it’s turned out to be smashing good fun! AND! I totally do a kick-kick-double basket toss on the trampoline in the show. Jeremy (the Director) and Jeremy (the previous Acro Captain) both LOVED it when I was playing around so it’s in! AWESOME! Who says cheerleading never amounts to anything?! Definitely not me! Love from the Oasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment