Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:37 PM

I’m having a lot of trouble remembering what day it is. My days all melt together because of our monotonous schedule. All we do is eat, sleep, and rehearse. Literally. I’ve just woken up from my “night” sleep. I feel like I could have used more sleep but I slept 8 hours. My sleeping schedule is extremely hit or miss. And it’s really starting to get to me. Two days ago, I slept through the day for 11 hours, and it was awesome. Yesterday, I slept 2.5 hours and then did some laundry and other remedial chores, and tried to sleep more, only clocking a total of about 6 hours. It’s just frustrating. And there’s an end in sight to this scheduling nightmare, but I need it to come a lot faster. I totally sympathize with insomniacs now. Tiago thinks we’re living like bats, and I agree. It’s awful. But alas, what do you do. My mood is constantly bitchy. And every little bit of downtime I have, my mind wanders to all of the loose ends I have in Tulsa. Right now my bank account is overdrawn by hundreds, I still haven’t figured out the best cell phone option, I need to order new contacts, etc. It just doesn’t end. Before I left for the ship I had this overwhelming feeling of being in limbo, and though I’m here, the feeling continues. I hate this feeling.
Rehearsals are going smoothly enough I suppose. They’re getting longer and more rigorous but that’s to be expected as we draw closer to the show. Bungees are still the bane of my existence, and my body never seems to get used to the process of hurling itself thirty feet and catching a bar with a single extremity. My bruises are healing, and then getting worse. It’s a seemingly endless cycle. Maxwell still hasn’t been cast. But at this point I think Jeremy is leaning towards me. We’re continuing the blocking process with me as Maxwell, and Tiago on a regular Acro track. That’s all with the assumption that we’ll switch eventually and learn the opposite part, but that switch hasn’t happened yet. I put my foot in my mouth a little yesterday. I have been assumed by several people to be the acrobat captain. So what do I do? Start acting as acrobat captain. The whole team accepts me as the leader and I’m running the portions of rehearsal where we’re left alone. So in my mind, after a week and a half of not knowing anything, it became time to email someone and get some information. I emailed someone about all the questions I have thus far: The Maxwell role, Acro Captain responsibilities, “Fly” pay, and about guest privileges for the Acro Captain. Well wouldn’t you know it, that very night (last night), Jeremy finally approached me and pulled me aside to talk. He wanted to know what I’d heard about the Captain position, and whether or not I’d be interested. I’m sure him talking to me was prompted by an email from the people I messaged, about my message. Oops. So I told him I was definitely interested and to let me know when he’d made his final decision. However, I feel like him talking to me and no one else about the position signifies that he has. So now I have another official appointment for which to wait. Awesome. More waiting.
On a lighter note, I haven’t smoked a cigarette, or thought about one for that matter, in 11 days. Miraculously, I think our entire cast is smoke-free, which is amazing for me. My fear coming into this was that I’d find a smoking buddy and my habit would continue as it has for way too long. I worried that Tiago would end up being a smoker but it turns out he quit 2 or 3 years ago. No smokers here! The previous cast has members that I’ve seen lighting up at various venues on the ship, but luckily we have very little contact with them. Bingo! So it looks like I’m finally on the path to becoming smoke free, permanently. And of a lesser concern, but the same genre of vices, I also haven’t thought about drinking in the same amount of time. In fact, every time I DO think about drinking it’s immediately followed with the raw, biological, your-own-body-telling-you-not-to kind of Nausea. I think it’s just the schedule and that my body is in an overhaul mode. I’m burning every calorie possible, then some. Either way, I DO plan on drinking again sometime very soon, so my body better SNAP out of it.:-)

1 comment:

  1. Pete!! Thank you so much for blogging! Now I can live vicariously through your exciting adventures! Luv you & Miss you tons!

    All my Love,
    ~Krissa~

    ReplyDelete