Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Monday, May 24, 2010 3:52 PM


I just read my last post, which was almost 20 days ago. After careful review, I realize that I sound like such a whiner! Thinking back to 20 days ago, I realize that it wasn’t the best of times, but it certainly wasn’t the worst of times either. I think what really got to me was the daily (or nightly) schedule. If you know me remotely well, you know that my sleep is integral to my daily functioning. More so than anything, being tired and/or hungry can really make me a heinous bitch. So you can imagine how crazy I was after 2 weeks of barely getting 4 hours of sleep, on average, a night (day). Meltdown.  But all that is passed. So if I worried you, my four or so readers, I apologize. I am fine. ‘Twas a moment of weakness on my part. So let me recap the past 20 days for you all, because a lot has happened!
We opened the show, “Come Fly With Me”, in which I play the principle character, Maxwell. The opening went extremely well, sans a few technical errors involving sets, props, etc. We’ve enjoyed packed houses and that really helps. The first 3 performances, the entire previous cast was still on the ship, and they helped bring the audience energy way up. I’m so grateful to have a character to really dive into, even though he’s a mute one. I find myself making discoveries that really allow me to bring this character to life. I’m afraid I really would have gone insane if I were just tumbling with no intellectual challenge. The show has a very loose plot, which allowed me to really make up an awesome back story. If you ever get to see the show I’ll share my thoughts with you!
After we opened, the acrobats had a week off, more or less. We had minor engagements, like open gym time on the trampoline and diving board, but nothing strenuous. For me, it was the perfect amount of time for to physically heal. I’m working at about 85%, but that’s much better than the 40/50% I was experiencing when we opened. After some downtime, we said farewell to the original Hairspray cast, which doubles as the “Come Fly With Me” dancers and singers. So now it is just us, the second cast, in the Opal Theatre. And the acrobats have turned their sites to conquering the AquaTheatre with the newly arrived 2nd Aqua Cast. They all seem amiable, and fortunately for them, much better informed than we were. I think that is solely because they are being led by the AquaTheatre Production Manager (ie Stage Manager) who is fantastic. During our week off, I got a call from said Production Manager to go over a multitude of information, which because of what I was used to the previous month, surprised me greatly. He was instantly helpful, and I knew that the installation of the Aqua Show “Oasis of Dreams” would go much smoother than the previous show installation. And so far, it definitely has. More so than CFWM, Oasis of Dreams is a just-add-water kind of show (literally lol). It’s an easier show for us because it’s more about putting little pieces together instead of “creating” sections. There’s less choreography and more “you have this amount of time to do whatever, so go for it.” In the meantime, I’m counting down the days until Todd gets here, thanks to the post-it countdown he sent in his last care package. It’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen, and I’m really trying not to read ahead, but it’s taking everything I have. The care packages Todd has sent me have really helped me remember why I’m here, and that this isn’t permanent, but just a transitional period of my life. So if you’re reading this, which I’m sure you are, I love you and appreciate everything you do for me, Todd!
One day I’ll figure out how to add pictures to this blog so you can have a visual reference to what I’m telling you all about.
One little tidbit that I think you gymnasts/cheerleaders will enjoy: one of the acrobats, Sydney, is from Canada. In Canada, the process of “Cowboying” your legs to rotate faster is called going “spread eagle,” and apparently in Canada you also shorten everything so they call it “spread eags.” I love it, and I’ve been saying it every chance I get. “SPREAD EAGS!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment